Our last weekly review before the final wrap up. With three shows ending this past week, there’s not much left to cover, but the Viewing Party will see it through to the end.
So since I apparently can’t be bothered to look at how many episodes a given show has, my plan to use this week as the season round up went afoul considering we had three shows that go into next week rather than just one.
Of course, having three shows left to cover should mean that we get things out promptly, but we all know that’s not going to happen. In any case, here’s what we have to say about the remaining Winter shows in this final weekly review (it’s really the last one this time!)
- Miss Kobayashi’s Dragon Maid: Some well appreciated backstory on how Tohru and Kobayashi met, but not much of the sweet moments I’ve come to expect. The finale should be interesting in any case.
- Onihei: Another episode focussed on one of Heizo’s subordinates. This one isn’t as fun as Chugo, but it was a decent episode nonetheless.
- Miss Kobayashi’s Dragon Maid: Finally, a detailed backstory on how Kobayashi and Tohru met! With another dragon (likely one of Tohru’s parents) slated to arrive just in time for the finale, I anticipating an exciting conclusion to this most adorable series.
- Onihei: In the rush to end last week’s episode in under a half hour, most of the details needed to make the narrative truly engaging was lost. Despite this, I’m still intrigued enough to see this through to the very end!
Still Watching (but not sold):
- Saga of Tanya the Evil: No one remembers WW2 (understandably), but Tanya remembers that the Free
FrenchRepublic aren’t going to just go away. Time to see this through to a possibly bloody end.
- Saga of Tanya the Evil: Tanya’s reservation about celebrating victory prematurely is reminiscent of real historic moments. With only one episode before the finale, I’m unsure if the resolution with Being X will be forthcoming.
New completions this week: Masamune-kun’s Revenge, ACCA: 13 Territory Inspection Department, Scum’s Wish
- Masamune kun’s Revenge: Well, I suppose now I can eat my words about this show might yet go somewhere. A completely pointless episode that squanders any potential this show had. Waiting for a sequel? Let me know how it turns out =/
- ACCA – 13: Incredible. I expected nothing less from Jean in this episode as he and Mauve tactfully disarm the troubling situation with poise. A great end to a great show that dared to do things a little differently
- Scum’s Wish: Look here for a prime example on how to end a show properly. This show took everyone for a rollercoaster ride but it settled in a great place. Hanabi’s gentle narration is still full of emotion as she brings this series to a close.
- Masamune kun’s Revenge: I couldn’t distinguish the finale from any other random episode from this series. Because of this, Masamune was a huge disappointment (and precious moments of my life that I will never get back.)
- ACCA – 13: Though the ending was a bit too “mild” for some viewers, the familiar pacing and surprise conclusion is everything I hoped for.
- Scum’s Wish: Managing to wrap up everyone’s arc and provide a definitive ending to the series, Scum’s Wish has been consistently on point the whole season.
No new drops this week. Here are the ones we stopped reviewing earlier this season:
- Hand Shakers: after 3 eps
- Gabriel Dropout: after 3 eps
- ēlDLIVE: after 8 eps
This post is part of our seasonal episodic review series. To view all the posts in this series, click the following link: Viewing Party