Winter 2017 is almost over and so too our Viewing Party is entering its final week. With many series finishing up, we’re excited to see how things will end. But while some shows are poised for a stirring finale, others seem destined for a mediocre finish.
This is the penultimate week for most of the shows on our list, as none of them so far have a confirmed second season that will continue on to Spring and maybe only one will exceed the standard 12 episode cour. As such, this will most likely be the final weekly breakdown as next week we’ll give our final thoughts on each series.
For now, read below to see where we stand this week. Are you eagerly awaiting the ending for any of these shows?
- ACCA 13: An exiting episode this week puts everything in place for the finale. It seems they’re waiting until the very last episode to decide the kingdom’s fate.
- Miss Kobayashi’s Dragon Maid: New Year’s celebrations bring a host of new traditions for the dragons to explore, and Tohru’s excitement over what lies ahead makes this week’s episode very sweet.
- Onihei: Hisae shows her own unique strength with Heizo absent for most of this episode. Though it could have been stronger, it’s serviceable enough to enjoy.
- Scum’s Wish: Akane’s character arc is closed in a surprisingly reasonable way in one of the show’s more emotional episodes, and has me excited to see the ending
- ACCA 13: With only the finale remaining, ACCA made another lasting impression this week by highlighting Nino’s loyalty and the expanse of Lilium’s greed.
- Miss Kobayashi’s Dragon Maid: The growth between Kobayashi and Tohru, coupled with witnessing the dragon’s adapting to the human society is what continues to make this series worthwhile.
- Onihei: While overall episode might have been a bit contrived, Hisae’s backstory was both surprising and endearing.
- Scum’s Wish: Though Akane is the focal character again this week, her arc was a means of guiding Mugi into place for the heart wrenching finale.
Still Watching (but not sold):
- Masamune-kun’s Revenge: Some inevitable and a double kidnapping don’t do much but delay the development of this story. There isn’t much time left for Masamune to make good on its plans.
- Saga of Tanya the Evil: War strategy and large scale operations overshadow the smaller tactical moments with Tanya’s squad this week, but it leaves off on an exciting cliffhanger. I’m looking forward to seeing where this goes again.
- Masamune-kun’s Revenge: I don’t even know anymore about this series. Nothing substantial happened to further the narrative. I can only assume Makabe’s escape is meant to bring him together with Aki for one more valiant display of compassion– leading to them falling hopelessly in love.
- Saga of Tanya the Evil: Now that Grantz is gone, I’m not sure I have any emotional attachment to these characters anymore. I think it utterly strange that I have no real issue with Tanya being offed in this series.
No new drops this week. Here are the ones we stopped reviewing earlier this season:
- Hand Shakers: after 3 eps
- Gabriel Dropout: after 3 eps
- ēlDLIVE: after 8 eps
This post is part of our seasonal episodic review series. To view all the posts in this series, click the following link: Viewing Party
Leave a Reply